Sunday, September 23, 2012

Daleks

Bigger on the Inside

As I hoped, some pictures of S, happy with her new shawl. It is a nice size, not too big and not too small and the colour is just right. It is "cobalt" in Madelinetosh Tosh sock. It was real fun to make this, and not too hard either...

Bigger on the Inside

Shawl for Oswin

 And as also noted, M wants also to have one of these, but to make twice the same shawl in same colours (as a Tardis has to be blue, no choice), that really didn't appeal to me too much. 

M thought first that a sonic skew driver would make for a nice pattern, but I don't really think so. It would be too narrow and not really defined. So why not something….evil….

So a Dalek is the obvious choice. I make a sketch and knitted a first trial (see on the left) but the spout (or what is it called?) was too short and the slope wasn't nice either… I think it was because I used a normal twisted cable stitch with two "knit" stitches on the right side. 

So a second attempt was made, with a more complicated twisted stick, a knit/purl combination,. And that worked much much better, so that is what I am going to use.

 

Shawl for Oswin

I have made the schemes in two versions, a left pointing Dalek and a right pointed Dalek and I am going to use 6 of each. This pattern is wider that than the original Tardis pattern, so I have less repeats and I do need to pick up 1 stitch more. I will decrease that stitch in the last row before the border and then do the k3,p1 border as in the original pattern.

So now I just have to wait for the Dalek colored yarn to arrive and ….

Shawl for Oswin

 

But as I can't have my hand idle, I started something else. In the beginning of the summer I bought some nice rustic 4-ply tweed  in Copenhagen (Geilsk Tweed) in green and pick. I wanted to make a cardigan for M from it using plain stockinette body with a yoke containing a slip-stitch pattern. So I did some experimenting with slipped stitches andI will  go from there…. I thought first that I wanted a round yoke, but I am not sure how to do the decrease rows such that the patterns are still nice, so I think I opt for raglan instead. 

Testing slipped stitches

No comments:

Post a Comment