Friday, July 20, 2012

Genius

Carrie

 
I finished my Carrie today and I am so happy with it. It is just perfect and that remind me about the genius of Kim Hargreaves. Her way with the details, the small touches is just so great. Yes the instructions are sometimes not straight-forward but a little bit of figuring it out and one is awarded with timeless items that can be worn and worn again. She is by far my most favourite designer to whom I go back time after time.  I also love the fact that she is very good with the finer yarns, so many 4-ply designs that are just right…. 
 
This is just a little cardigan, perfect to go with a dress or a skirt (yes I wear almost only dresses and skirts, even though I am a scientist working at a mainly physics lab….). The textures are just right, not too much but pleasing and it was a joy to knit.
 
Carrie
 
Some words about the yarn. I didn't use the fine milk cotton that was used in the pattern. I really wasn't sure about that yarn and the colours were a bit too pastel. Then earlier this year Rowan came out with a wool-cotton 4-ply version and there was this lovely red. I did knit a couple of times with the "DK" version of wool-cotton and I really liked that yarn. So I was naturally curious about the 4-ply version…. I guessed I could use it for this design, but I also knew I had to tweak slightly. The gauge is just slightly different, so I knitted this on slightly larger needles (2.75 & 3 mm instead of 2.25 & 2.75mm) and I knitted the XS version with lengths from the S version. The yarn requires a bit of attention since it is slightly splitty, but the stitch definition is great and it really works well. Now only if there could be more "bright" colours….
 
Anyway I am happy…..
 
Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment