Saturday, January 24, 2015

Mysa

IMG_5660

A couple of year sago I bought a nice laying black cardigan to wrap myself up in. Sometime during the fall, S asked whether she could borrow it for a day, and quite quickly after that she was wearing as often as she could put her hands on it. So it wasn’t a huge surprise when the request came whether I could make a black long cardigan for her, it should have no buttons, not be a waterfall type of cardigan, warm and soft and please could it be finished already...

So ok, I had a look around and no pattern really appealed to S, at the same time I got kind of interested into knitting the borders simultaneous with a sweater even around the neckline and I wanted to experiment with that. As the wished for garment would be a long cardigan, I really didn’t look forward into picking up and knitting around the fronts, so knitting the borders simultaneous seems really fitting for this item. So it was clear that the cardigan would be an own design. To make it a bit more interesting than only a normal rib border,I once again use a drop stitch pattern.

So how is this construction, you start by a provisional cast-on and then knit the border from the bak of the neck to the point that the fronts would start. Then unravel the cast-on and knit into the other direction to the same point. Then it is picking up stitches and starting a raglan top down. I hasn’t been tried on, but it looks quite nice (I am just under the sleeves now) and indeed the drop stitches make it a bit more interesting knitting than just stockinette. Yarn is Ultra Alpaca by Berroco, a 50-50% wool alpaca blend. It feels really like a nice yarn, soft and drape-y but a with a bit of substance from the wool. I think it works well with this kind of cardigan!

It will have pockets, this is a cardigan meant for pocket….

The other problem with black, photographs really really bad, but black was required…..

IMG_5661

And yes I have been in dropped stitch territory for quite a bit now, just finished the Cupido Cowl earlier this week, a different drop stitch, a different soft item but also one to “mysa” in...

 

IMG_5658

No comments:

Post a Comment